Executive Chef at USS Nemo:
1. Why did you decide to become a chef?
I fell in love with working in kitchens at a young age. The camaraderie experienced in a commercial kitchen is unique. You go to battle every day with your team. And every day, as the team pushes through prepping and dinner service, they are able to accomplish something amazing to create memorable experiences for our guests. Everyone strives for the same goal every day, but no day is the same as the last. There are new challenges that arise at any given moment and it truly takes a team to accomplish them. It was only natural for me to step into a leadership role when the opportunity presented itself. I wanted something as challenging as it was rewarding. Something I could take pride in.
2. How long have you been cooking for USS Nemo?
I started working for USS Nemo as Chef de Cuisine in October 2014.
3. What is your favorite lunch item on the menu?
I love our Poke Bowls. Especially in the summertime when it’s scorching hot outside. They are so light and fresh and have so much flavor. We use amazingly fresh fish and with the seasoned sushi rice and fried onions, you can’t beat it.
4. What are your top 3 favorite items on the dinner menu?
- Obviously the Miso Broiled Sea Bass – It’s such an amazing fish. What we do with it is truly special. The whole process from start to finish is an amazing culinary experience. From the time the fresh fish arrives, to filleting, portioning, marinating, to actually cooking and plating. Not to mention making the sauces. It’s not an easy task and takes a great team to execute this dish but the results speak for themselves.
- Fresh Herbs Grilled Tuna – There is something about Yellowfin Tuna and fresh goat cheese that just works. Paired with our lobster risotto made with carnaroli rice and the roasted tomato sauce makes this dish a winner for me.
- Hot and Crunchy Grouper Bowl – This is a dish I created a couple of years ago that became very popular from the beginning. It’s different, it’s fun and has tons of flavor and different textures with the roasted pineapple and candied nuts.
5. What is your favorite ingredient to work with?
There isn’t one particular ingredient that would consider my favorite but I would definitely say fish and seafood in general. It can delicate or robust. Light or heavy. Cold or hot. Fresh or preserved. I think because growing up around the ocean and being a fisherman. It’s something I can experience all the way from its’ natural habitat. I have a special respect for things that come from the ocean.
We can only seat complete parties for reserved tables. Please be sure your entire party has arrived before checking in with our hostess.
"With its subtle submarine motif and obvious seafood obsession, USS Nemo (239-261-6366) is among the most original restaurants on the Naples dining scene these days, and it has the fan base to prove it."
Chelle Koster Walton
"The miso broiled sea bass with citrus-ginger butter sauce is almost worth a trip to Naples in and of itself."
The New York Times
"I can tell you without hesitation, this is THE BEST and most consistent restaurant in Naples. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed!"
"Most consistently great restaurant in Naples!"
Monday-Thursday 4:30-9:00 pm
Friday & Saturday 4:30-9:30 pm
Sunday 4:30-9:00 pm