Tuna is a popular cuisine consumed and enjoyed all over the world. There are several varieties of this saltwater fish ranging in size, color and flavor — and even more ways to prepare and enjoy this savory treat.
Types of Tuna
- Albacore: The albacore tuna, which has the lightest-colored flesh, delivers a mild yet rich flavor.
- Bigeye: The bigeye tuna has bright red flesh. It has a higher fat content and features a mild flavor.
- Bluefin: The bluefin tuna has the darkest and fattiest flesh. Compared to the other varieties, it also has the most distinct flavor.
- Skipjack: Skipjack tuna is often referred to as “light” tuna. It has a very mild flavor.
- Yellowfin: Just like its name suggests, the yellowfin tuna has a prominent yellow dorsal fin. It’s both lean and flavorful.
Benefits of Tuna
Regardless of the variety, tuna boasts many health benefits. It’s considered a heart-friendly food because of its high omega-3 fatty acid content. Tuna is also filled with high levels of protein as well as vitamins and minerals like iron and selenium.
With all of these health benefits — not to mention its delicious taste — tuna is definitely worth indulging in.
How to Prepare Fresh Tuna Fish
When you’re looking for tuna, steer clear of any variety that has a strong fishy scent or is starting to brown. You want to aim for fresh, bright and moist.
If you won’t be eating the tuna right away, you can cover it and keep it refrigerated. Once you purchase it, however, you should try to consume it within one to two days. When you’re ready to start preparing the tuna, give it a quick rinse with cool water, then pat it dry before cooking.
Different Ways to Eat Fresh Tuna
Because of its firm texture, fresh tuna can be cooked in a number of ways, including pan-searing, oil-poaching, baking and grilling. And thanks to the mild flavor in many varieties, you’ll be able to let your creativity run wild. Try marinating your favorite tuna or brining it for a burst of flavor. To brine your fish, all you’ll need to do is coat it in kosher salt, seal it in a bag for about a half-hour and then rinse it with cold water before cooking.
Here are a few different ways to incorporate tuna into your next meal:
- Tuna burgers
- Tuna Nicoise salad
- Tuna fish sandwich
You can also use it as a topping on your garden salad or pasta.
Enjoy Tuna With a Twist at USS Nemo
Here at USS Nemo, you can enjoy prime tuna prepared with a twist. Each dish is unique and creatively prepared. Choose from East, West and Indian prime tuna dishes seasoned with savory spices and fresh ingredients, such as exotic mushrooms, mango chutney and baby bok choy.
To indulge in a mouth-watering tuna dish in Naples, Florida, book your reservation at the USS Nemo today.