Dinner dates have always been a popular way for couples to spend some time together in a social environment. If you choose or agree to a romantic dinner, you’ll be able to enjoy a delicious meal while getting to know your prospective partner’s personality, characteristics, morals and interests. While these kinds of dates are exciting, they can also be stressful — especially if you’re unsure of the proper dating dinner etiquette.
To help, we’ve put together a few basic etiquette tips as well as some dos and don’ts regarding what to order on your first date.
First Date Etiquette
Whether you’re dining at a casual or upscale restaurant, you should follow a few general etiquette guidelines:
- Don’t assume your date is paying: Be prepared to pay for your meal. It’s never a good idea to assume your date is covering the entire bill. Similarly, if you know for sure that they’ll be paying, show respect by not ordering the most expensive item on the menu.
- Keep drinking to a minimum: Being drunk on your first date will leave a bad first impression. Be sure to know your drinking limit and stay under it.
- Avoid controversial topics: While these subjects will eventually come up in a relationship, on your first dinner date, you should avoid sensitive topics such as politics, money and religion. Try to focus more on having a good time and getting to know the person across the table.
Menu Dos and Don’ts on a Dinner Date
Before you pick up the menu for dinner on your first date, be sure to keep these dos and don’t in mind.
What to Order on a Date
While you should go with your gut and be yourself on a first date, a few pointers might help ease your nerves. For the smoothest sailing, try ordering:
- Tapas: Tapas, which are essentially a bite-sized appetizer, are casual and great for sharing.
- A dish that’s easy to eat: Try to stick with meals that won’t splash or spill all over your outfit. While pasta is always a great first-date choice, stick with a noodle such as penne, which is easier to eat than spaghetti.
- Something that won’t make you seem overly picky: If you’re picky about the menu or request too many changes to your meal, your date may think you’re high maintenance.
What Not to Order on a Date
Now that you know the good options, you may want to steer clear of:
- Messy finger foods like wings: It will be harder to pay attention to your date and look presentable while you’re distracted by a messy meal. Stick with something you can easily eat with a fork or spoon.
- Pungent options: Dishes with a lot of garlic and onions are known for causing bad breath, so steer clear of them on your first date.
- Spicy dishes: Similar to pungent foods, spicy foods can be difficult to manage on a first date. The meal might be spicier than you expected, causing you to overheat or leaving you gasping and scrambling for a glass of water.
Plan an Unforgettable First Date at USS Nemo
Thanks to a unique atmosphere and award-winning cuisine, USS Nemo is the perfect place for a first date. Because of our dedication to crafting fresh and creative dishes made with a Pan-Asian twist, we’ve consistently been voted a top restaurant.
Book your reservation today and experience one of the best places to eat with your date in Naples.